Real Estate Controller
Looking for a dynamic Real Estate Controller responsible for reporting to the firm’s principals who is a strategic thinker but has the ability to be hands-on and tactical! The Controller will serve as an integral member of the Executive Management Team. This position will be responsible for the real estate accounting for the organization including real estate operations and work closely with our Corporate/Fund Controller.
The candidate must be a “roll-up sleeves” type of manager – with a “whatever it takes attitude”!
Location: Red Bank, NJ (just off GSP; exit 109), Remote work during COVID.
Role: Real Estate Controller
Reports to: Managing Partners
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete knowledge and understanding of all lease types including NNN along with the ability to perform CAM reconciliations.
- Add value to the operations of the company and create accounting and tax benefits for the buildings, partners and principals of the company.
- Advise the Executive Team over areas of responsibility including financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities and policy matters.
- Interpret and advise senior leadership on the financial results, forecasts, trends and other analysis.
- Contribute to the company’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Effectively lead and train the support team, and delegate appropriately to complete the recurring functions of the accounting department within the company deadlines.
- Maintain financial staff including hiring and establishing and monitoring staff performance and employee goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance reviews, administer salary adjustments, and terminate staff if needed.
- Review, assess, create and/or improve on clearly defined documented systems, processes and internal controls for recurring tasks.
- Implement overall department compliance with GAAP principles and prepare the department for any potential future audits.
- Maximize return on financial assets of an operating real estate management and investment company, reduce risk by establishing financial policies, procedures, internal controls, and reporting systems, and oversee/manage finance staff to implement the same.
- Manage all accounting operations including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable and revenue recognition and reporting for multiple operations and investment entities.
- Oversee preparation of budgets for operating entities and report variances.
- Create/manage/execute department processes and workflows to streamline effective communication, productivity and reporting.
Background, Skills & Qualifications:
- BS in Accounting, Business or Finance, and CPA are required. MBA a Plus!
- Minimum of 5 years of commercial real estate accounting and supervisory experience with multiple books, specifically in real estate.
- Experience designing and implementing internal controls.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of willingness to be hands-on and ensure clear, concise communication to all members of the company.
- Familiarity with financial/property management software including Yardi, MRI or similar property management accounting software.
- Experience with excel or equity accounting software with an understanding of capital allocations and waterfall structures is a PLUS.
First National Realty Partners is a dynamic private equity firm that is helping reshape the commercial real estate landscape. Every day we bring institutional-quality commercial real estate opportunities to the mass affluent investor while creating value for all stakeholders involved; tenants, investors, employees, and the communities we own in.
Working at First National is unlike anything you’ve experienced before. We’re not your stuffy shirt-and-tie office space. We’re the goal-oriented, get-it-done, work-hard, play-hard type of team that loves to create, explore, challenge the status quo and win.